Battery Current Causes Reaction
"10 deaths in 6 years? This is number 10,000 on the list of risks to children we should be worrying about."
- Sean in the comments
Small, button-like lithium cell batteries, which could be mistaken for candy, are very dangerous for young children, New York Times reminds us in their recent story about a young boy who died after ingesting a battery. Aidan Truett, a 13-month-old from Hamilton, Ohio, suffered through nine days of severe symptoms similar to those experienced with an upper respiratory infection before doctors finally discovered and removed the battery during surgery. Unfortunately, Aidan died two days later. A chemical reaction had been set off by the battery's current, attacking Aidan's aorta and esophagus. Aidan's mother, Michelle Truett, spoke to New York Times because she wants to raise awareness of the dangers of lithium cell batteries to small children.